Home * Patterns * Tutorials * Made It * Our Story

Saturday, July 4, 2015

June 2015 Finishes

 Since I'll be posting lots of finishes this week, this blog post is also a part of A Week of Finishes, an event I put together in 2013, and decided to revisit again. If you have any recent finishes you'd like to link up, grab a button and please do! (you can share blog posts, flickr photos, or IG photos.) I love to see what other people have been making!

from blank pages...


June was a fun month for finishes! I finished a lot of Wip's and that is SUCH a great feeling!!!

The week after school got out we went on vacation to Utah to visit my sister who was visiting from Hawaii. It was a great week, and a great excuse to hurry and finish a few things before we left.

First up are two pairs of capris I had made in May, and had actually been wearing, even though they still needed elastic. Yep, my belly was big enough to hold them up on their own, though after a while the knit would stretch, and while that was not a problem being at home, I figured elastic would be a nice addition. ;)


Meet my almost-37-weeks-pregnant I-just-woke-up haven't-gotten-ready self: ;p

I have to laugh at this photo, and yes, I purposly left that finger there. My oldest took some pictures for me, and then my hubby came out to take *better* pictures to put on my blog. Well, every single picture he took had his finger in it! lol! I love him!! 


And my second pair:
This guy wanted to hang out with me for this picture, and I had to pick this photo of course. This is how I always carry him. He is definitely my most cuddly/attached kiddo! I love that he's always near me. :) Though I think he's REALLY going to miss this baby bump when it's gone!!! He fits perfectly sitting on top of it and laying on my shoulder. I think it's probably really comfortable for both of us. Anyway, I just wanted to document this too since I got a picture of it. :)
I found both of these knits at Joann's, which I never see knits that I like there. I don't really know what to wear them with though. Prints on clothes is a new thing for me, so sometimes I definitely don't match - as my maternity attire is limited, or I'm in a black or white shirt. Whatever. They are super comfy! and cool. And I'll be able to wear them as non-maternity as well, which is always nice.



The last time we went to Utah for a summer trip was about 2 years ago. While we were there my brother gave me one of his quilts to repair for him. I love the story of this quilt, and I LOVE that I was able to add a little bit of myself to it.

When my brother was young, he helped make this quilt with my grandma, (and my mom and sister, I think). Then at a family reunion, or some family get together, it was raffled off. Well, my mom bought tickets for all of her kids, and my brother won it! Apparently my mom's aunt was really upset that a little boy won it as she really wanted it. Ha! Obviously I don't know the story well enough, but still, I think it's awesome.

It has been his family's favorite quilt and it definitely showed! There were a few huge holes, and all around the edges was bare and falling apart. I also thought it was interesting that it was always the green fabrics, and a few blue fabrics, that had the most wear on them.


Anyway, I patched the holes from underneath, adding batting and a layer of fabric. Then pulled the original fabric over that so that it would have as much original fabric as possible. Then I added a binding around the edge to cover any wear, as well as help prevent any more.


Unfortunately I didn't have time to get a better photo of the finished quilt. Maybe I'll see if he'll send me one. Until then, here it is. I think the scrappy Cotton + Steel binding goes so perfectly well with the patchwork quilt. The prints are perfectly vintage, and I like that making it scrappy didn't add a frame to the quilt, since it didn't have one originally. :)



Other finishes: Teacher gifts! I had started these pencil mug rugs months and months ago and finished them up. I just love these so much! Hunter had two amazing teachers this year, and I am so grateful for all their efforts to help him! His year and progress was 100 times better than what he experienced in Florida. That was a rough year, so as his mom, I am so grateful for people who care about him and help him!!!

I had better photos, but iPhoto has been acting weird and it won't show me a bunch of my photos. :( Luckily they are only the ones from my phone, so I think I have them all backed up somewhere... I just need to find them. :)

These mug rugs are another project from my 2nd Quarter Finish-Along list with Adrianne of On The Windy Side. So I will be linking them up over there.



On our road trip I finished up my Simple Celestial mini! All the handstitching was perfect for the long car ride! I finished all of it up except two sections, because the colors I had weren't quite perfect, so I finished those after we got home. But now it hangs next to my computer and I am SO in love with it!! I wish I had time to make ALL the quilts, because this would be a fun one to have in a large quilt!




 And just in the last minute, like literally the night of the 30th, I finished stitching down the binding on Tommy's quilt. I made the first block over two years ago. And that was all until earlier this year. Now it's finished!! Tommy loves it and he's SO excited to use it! But I need to do a photo shoot with it first, so I'm making him wait. ;) He's pretty patient about it, so that's nice. :)


This quilt is another project from my 2nd Quarter Finish-Along list with Adrianne of On The Windy Side. So I will be linking this up over there too! Wahoo! That's four things off my list so far! (and I actually finished another one last night!)




Alright! That's it for catching up with all my finishes! It was a good week! I'll share my last finish for the FAL too, so I can link it up. Can I just tell you how great it feels to finish something!! But I also must admit that it is also very enabling to start new projects, which I have definitely done! ;)


from blank pages...


If you want to share any finishes you've had for the year, feel free to link them up below! :) Thanks for everyone who has linked up! It's fun to see your projects! I'll keep the linky open if you want to keep sharing!


   

Diane


2 comments:

  1. Stopped on over because I loved the picture of your son's quilt. Nice baby bump! Congrats on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bright colours in your Pencil mug rugs - great idea for a teacher gift! And your Tula mini is gorgeous too.
    *Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad.*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to say hi! I always love your comments, they make me smile!

If you have a no-reply account, be sure to leave your email address so I can respond to you.