Home * Patterns * Tutorials * Made It * Our Story

Friday, September 30, 2011

Mikaela's Quilt


Well, now that I'm actually getting underway on this quilt, I figure I need to post about it.

Here's the story: I was going to make Mabel's quilt for my sister, but then she couldn't decide the size or fabric, and then she decided that I should make one for her daughter, Mikaela, instead. :)  Originally she really liked my sketch for my Bottled Rainbows quilt, but I decided that there was no way that I could make a ~80" by 90" inch ticker tape quilt. :) (Did I mention this will be the largest quilt I've made!) Anyway, so while she was here this summer we changed the layout a few times and came up with the following layout.


  • The quilt will finish 84"x91". 
  • It will be 12 rows of 13 blocks.
  • The blocks have a 5" square center (patterned fabric) with a 1" solid border.
  • The borders of each block will be made from 7 different colors (red, pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple)
  • and each color will have 22 blocks per color, broken down to 7(+1 extra) blocks made in 3 different shades. (does that make sense? so there will be 3 different reds, 3 different pinks, etc.)
  • The center blocks will be the same color as (or match) the border color. (just look at the pictures) :)

Mikaela's Quilt

(really bad cell phone picture! :) )

Mikaela went through my stash and pulled out everything that she liked. We matched them up with some solids that I have, and amazingly I think I'll be able to pull off this whole quilt just from my stash (though I may need some more solids)! Awesome!! :)

Mikaela's Quilt - fabric pile

I've had this pile sitting in the corner for a while, and finally a week or so ago decided to start whittling away at it. And so here we are!


DSC_0743

Anyway, so it's really pretty simple! And after ironing and cutting it all out (which actually is taking FOREVER. (like an hour per color = 7 hrs.) :}, I don't think it should take too long. (thank goodness for chain piecing! I love it!) :) So far it's been pretty enjoyable! I love all the colors! All the blocks will be pieced right next to each other in a random color order (or not. We'll see once I get it up on a design board and start playing around with it. :) )


you can keep up with my progress on my side bar, under "Projects I'm working on". :)

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in to say hi! I always love your comments, they make me smile!

If you have a no-reply account, be sure to leave your email address so I can respond to you.